As a national leader on many of my policy priorities, I am proud of the recognition that my work has received over the years.
114th Congress (2015-16)
- The Caring Award
The Caring Institute’s annual Caring Awards recognizes 10 people each year as the most caring individuals in the United States. They choose five adults and five young people for this award.
- Conservation Award
The Nature Conservancy’s Conservation Award is given to individuals, organizations and agencies that have made significant contributions to promoting and enhancing conservation in Rhode Island and beyond.
- Distinguished Community Health Defender (Fourth time recognized)
Distributed by Providence Community Health Centers, in conjunction with the National Association of Community Health Centers, the Distinguished Community Health Defender Award honors legislators and community leaders who have gone above and beyond to support the community health center model.
- Mitch and Betty Salomon Award
The Mitch and Betty Salomon Award recognizes individuals who have fought for conservation, protection and watershed improvement on behalf of the Wood-Pawcatuck Watershed Association.
- Humane Champion Award (Second time recognized)
The Humane Champion Award, given by The Humane Society of the United States, honors legislators who have taken a leadership role in animal welfare and pro-animal policy.
- Cyber Award
Symantec’s Cyber Awards recognize individuals who exemplify excellence in government cybersecurity through individual contributions to programs that protect data and systems.
113th Congress (2013-14)
- Henry Viscardi Achievement Award
The Henry Viscardi Center’s Achievement Award honors people living with disabilities for their work and influence on the global disability community of more than one billion people.
- Association for Career and Technical Education National Policymaker of the Year Award
The ACTE National Policymaker of the Year Award is presented to those who have made the most significant impact on policy related to career and technical education during the previous year or an extended career of public service.
- National Down Syndrome Society Superhero Award
The National Down Syndrome Society’s Superhero Award honors an individual who advocates for the value, acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome.
- Hero of Main Street Award
The Hero of Main Street Award is distributed by the National Retail Federation (NRF) and recognizes Members of Congress that support the American retail industry, the nation’s largest private sector employer.
- Visiting Nurse Associations of America Champion Award
The Visiting Nurse Associations of America’s Champion Award annually recognizes congressional leaders who champion issues in support of non-profit home health and hospice providers.
- Friend of the National Parks Award (Fourth time recognized)
The National Parks Conservation Association’s Friend of the National Parks Award recognizes congressional members’ support for significant national park issues.
- Human Society of the United States Humane Champion Award
The HSUS Humane Champion Award is given to legislators who have consistently supported animal welfare legislation and lead the introduction of such measures.
112th Congress (2011-12)
- Junius A. Kellogg Outstanding Congressional Leadership Award
The United Spinal Association’s Junius A. Kellogg Award celebrates a Member of Congress who has demonstrated courage, energy and dedication in promoting productive, independent lives for people with disabilities.
- United States Olympic Committee Amazing Investor Award
The Amazing Investor Awards honors individuals and organizations that have a significant impact on the Paralympic Movement in the United States.
- Angel Planes Founders Award
The Angel Planes Foundation’s Founders Award recognizes contributions to the first flight of the organization’s Providence Chapter that provides transportation for children requiring emergency medical care out of state.
- National Farmers Union Golden Triangle Award
The National Farmers Union’s highest legislative honor, the Golden Triangle Award, is given to members of Congress who demonstrate leadership and support policies that benefit America’s family farmers, ranchers, fishermen and rural communities.
- Rhode Island Kids Count Covering Kids Award
The Covering Kids Award honors individuals that work to improve the health, economic well-being, safety, education and development of Rhode Island’s children.
- Rhode Island Mentoring Partnership Championing of Mentoring Award
The Champion of Mentoring Award annually honors individuals who have worked to improve, support and secure funding for mentorship programs in Rhode Island.
- Congressional Management Foundation Gold Mouse Award
The Gold Mouse Award recognizes the best Congressional websites as evaluated with respect to communication, understanding, accountability and transparency.
- National Association of Community Health Centers Distinguished Community Health Defender Award (Third time recognized)
The Distinguished Community Health Defender Award honors members of Congress who show consistent support for underserved community members and for community health centers.
Highlights from Previous Congresses
- MS Society Representative of the Year (2010)
- RSA Conference Award for Excellence in Public Policy (2008)
- SANS Institute National Cybersecurity Leadership Award (2007)
- Paralyzed Veterans of American Congressional Award (2007)
- Fire Sprinkler Advocate of the year (2007)
- National Spinal Cord Injury Association Hall of Fame Inductee (2006)
- American Counseling Association Federal Legislative Service Award (2005)
- National Rehabilitation Hospital Victory Award (2001)